Friday, February 12, 2016

Writers As Readers

1.) When you read, what do you need to be comfortable?
Zero distractions. I think that I can read in pretty much any quiet space so when it comes to what I need to be comfortable the only thing that comes to mind is quiet and a comfy chair. No blanket, no snacks, no particular amount of lighting (although, obviously, I'll need to be able to see the words). I'm a very particular person, usually, but when it comes to reading I'm not picky.
2.) What genres interest you? What specifically about these genres interest you?
I really love suspenseful action books. Something like mystery would interest me.I also like a little bit of fantasy. The perfect combination of these would be a book about a superhero or something, like how in ASHES the main character and a few other people suddenly got extraordinary abilities such as enhanced sense of smell or vision and they were fighting to stay alive post-apocalypse. It also helps to have a little bit of romance added to the story but I wouldn't say romance novels are really my thing.
5.) Have you ever picked up a book and been excited to turn the next page, then the next, then the next? What book? Why couldn't you stop reading? Is there a book you just had to trudge through to finish?
Like I mentioned before, ASHES is the perfect combination of genres for me. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next! The book even worked it's way into my dreams some nights. Although it's basically a book about zombies (which is not something I ever thought I would want to read), it was actually very interesting and it was more than just "a book about killing zombies." There were plenty of surprising new twists that kept me wanting to read more.
One of the worst books I have ever read was Numbering The Bones. I read it when I was pretty young because it was assigned to me for school so it was probably beyond my reading level, but I promised myself that I'd never pick up that book again and I am going to keep that promise. I hated this book with all my heart. I don't really remember what it was about (the civil war/slavery I think) which is probably because I wasn't really paying attention to what was happening--I just needed to get the grade and then forget about that boring book forever.

1 comment:

  1. Ashes sounds like a good book! I remember that being on the Gateway list a couple of years ago. What you said about reading the Bones book to get a grade and "then forget about that boring book forever" made me laugh. I guess there's some irony there since you're writing about it now. : ) But that's the worst when you are made to read something you don't enjoy or get anything out of.

    ReplyDelete