Friday, February 19, 2016

My Favorite Quotations

"Brutes have been gentled where lashes failed.
The growth of a frail flower in a path up
has sometimes shattered and split a rock."

- Carl Sandburg: A Father To His Son
This quote is saying that sometimes in life it is best to be gentle and easygoing rather than hostile because it can leave a stronger effect. This is important to me because I usually react too harshly to things that would turn out better if I were to be kind. When I have followed this quote in life I've seen things work out better for everyone in the long run.

"They say love grows, but I've only seen it die.
I'm too young to feel like I'm running out of time."

- Miley Cyrus: I Get So Scared
This first verse from Miley's song is very accurate in my opinion. All around me I see relationships ending and I don't see them continuing to grow stronger after a long time--it's more like they reach a peak and then go downhill. I'm too young to be worried that I won't find real, unconditional love for the people in my life and that if I do, it'll be too late.

“There’s what’s right and there’s what’s right and never the twain shall meet.”
- H.I. McDunnough
This is a playoff of a poem by Rudyard Kipling that says “Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.” which actually goes on to explain that people who are completely different can still understand each other. I'm not sure what the Coen brother's meant by this version when that added it to the movie but it makes you think...
http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2011/02/east-is-east-and-west-is-west-and-never.html 

1 comment:

  1. Your first quote reminds me of a favorite one of mine: “Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage, not weakness.”


    ― Katherine Henson

    ReplyDelete